Elliston and back ….. just for lunch!
330 ks is a fair way to go for lunch, but many Lincoln Auto Club took up the challenge of the July event and made the enjoyable trip to Elliston and back …. just for lunch.
Well it wasn’t actually just for lunch, the cruise up the open western coast road, plus an added impromptu history lesson made for a great day out.
An early shower didn’t deter many members gathering at Whirley’s carpark before setting off. The Kerley’s headed off early in “Little Arthur” to gain a head start but they must have pushed the Farina pretty well as they beat most of the field to the Mount Hope morning tea pit stop. Here the field was joined by Rod Liddle’s Mustang, the Lock’s Mini, Mr President’s Chevy, and James Minhard (on babysitting duties!) who had merged into the convoy en-route.
Bronte and Jasmine Lock in their Mini, and Rod Liddle with his Mustang joined the convoy en-route.
The Mount Hope morning tea break proved a great interlude as boots opened, table and chairs emerged, tea and coffee thermos appeared and conversations started.
Mindful of having to arrive in Elliston at a reasonable time for lunch, Geoff Phillips called an end to the social interlude and ordered, ” Gentlemen, start your engines!”. Apparently the conversations were so in depth there was a chance of them eating into the afternoon.
One of the topics of conversation over morning tea was the apparent lack of Fords in the field. Upon arrival in Elliston, this balance was soon corrected by the Cunningham Clan, Rick & Bernice and Garry & Cindy, who had travelled up the day before in their excellent examples of the Ford marque.
Having created quite a bit of interest on the Port Neill Run, Garry and Cindy Cunninham of Cummins, were present again with their immaculate Falcon GT.
Also joining us in Elliston were local members Carolyn and Kym Gillett in their 1928 Model A Ford, another one to add to the blue oval brigade. The Gillett’s expressed their appreciation to the Lincoln Auto Club for visiting their neck of the woods as distance (which is extended by driving a Model A) prevents them from regularly attending Club events. Over lunch the Gillett’s extended the invitation to visit their historic shearing shed on their property at Bramfield, only a short distance East of Elliston. Many members expressed their willingness to accept the invitation, but first there were formalities to attend to.
President Ian welcomed all to the day, in particular first timers Robyn & Ian Kilgour (travelling in their friend vehicle) and Katherine & Tony Ashman in their 1950 6 cylinder Vauxhall Velox Tourer. It was a long way to Elliston and back in the Velox Katherine reckons, particularly without a radio! Winners of the Eyre Fuels fuel voucher were Lorraine a Rolly Binns.
The day’s coordinator, Steve Hammond, took the opportunity to direct all-comers to the Waterloo Bay foreshore for a photo shoot …………….and what a sight it was, for photographers and onlookers alike.
Fords, Fords and more Fords ……………..
Katherine & Tony Ashman’s 1950 Vauxhall Velox made it to Elliston on its’ first outing.
From here the field split, some heading directly home, some detouring home via Lock, some via Cummins, and a fair number taking up the opportunity to visit the Gillett’s historic shearing shed. Built around 1860, the shed was one of four sheds built at Dutton Bay, Lake Hamilton, Bramfield and Fowlers Bay. These sheds serviced the pastoral run of Price Morris, the original squatter, which extended from Dutton Bay in the South to Fowler’s Bay in the Far West. By 1865 this run supported 215,000 sheep.
Carolyn & Kym Gillett welcomed an interested flock to their historic shearing shed.
Rams, ewes and wethers loose on the Bramfield Station’s shearing boards!
Today, Carolyn and Kym own and operate “Bramfield” and “Chickerloo” stations, a mere 60,000 acres within that original run! How long does it take you Carolyn and Kym to muster your flock in the Model A? It was interesting to hear that when originally surveyed in the 1800’s, the layout of the town of Bramfield, 15ks East of Elliston, was larger than than Port Lincoln. Today it is a little smaller, in fact quite a bit smaller than Port Lincoln. A quick trip around the partially deserted streets by some on their way home confirmed that fact! Thanks for the history lesson Carolyn & Kym.
Whilst the weather threatened early, only a light shower was experienced on the journey home. Unfortunately Gordon Rushby reported being saturated by heavy rain approaching Mount Hope on the return journey. What else would you expect on a motor bike Gordon!
No, it wasn’t a 330 kilometre journey just for lunch. It proved a great outing, a pleasant lengthy cruise to blow the cobwebs out, and an early Eyre Peninsula history lesson to boot.